Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Trying To Talk About Poverty

  I was going to talk about my challenge with poverty and what my plans were for getting out of it. Though it is near impossible to talk about for some reason. Is poverty so stigmatized in the world that even the poor can't freely talk about what it is like or what they plan to do to get out of it? I feel like I should not be saying or writing anything about what it is like and what my greatest fears are. I get the same feeling when I try and tell people what I am experiencing with my mental illness. Perhaps self censoring? This feeling could also be from what I see in the news and social media and how they portray it. 

  I might come back to this topic later today when I have built enough courage (don't know if that is the right word) and do another journal post.

  Curious what you think or how you feel about poverty? Might help me be able to talk about and actually defeat it.

2 comments:

  1. I think talking about poverty feels too much like giving up to many people, or at least admitting that they aren't winning the game. Like mental illness, though, it's something more people experience than we generally understand. Also like mental illness, the more people who talk about it, the less stigmatized it gets and the better able we become at learning how to deal with it. It's also easy to forget that the game isn't over until it's over - as long as you're breathing there's still a chance to change the outcome. If you don't feel comfortable sharing your story publicly, but still want an outside party ear, you are welcome to write to me anytime. I promise, I don't judge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your great comment Wendy Strain. I did do another attempt at this subject and I not go into a lot of detail with what I experience with poverty. I guess I will keep trying until I get what needs to be said out and on to page.
      I really like what you said "It's also easy to forget that the game isn't over until it's over - as long as you're breathing there's still a chance to change the outcome". It is a wonderful and positive comment. Thank you again for commenting on my post.
      Also thanks for your offer to listen.

      Delete